Fall is often a time when we reflect on the past and plan for the future …
Later this fall we will be releasing the Digital Government Strategic Plan, a rebranding and expansion of the Government of Canada’s Strategic Plan for IM/IT which is released annually. This plan will highlight actions underway or planned to help us achieve the Digital Government vision and better, digitally-enabled services for Canadians.
Undoubtedly more work is required to achieve the vision, as articulated last year, where: “The Government of Canada is an open and service-oriented organization that delivers programs and services to citizens and businesses in simple, modern and effective ways that are optimized for digital and available anytime, anywhere and from any device. Digitally, the GC must operate as one to benefit all Canadians.”
However, as important as it is to ‘keep our eyes on the goal’ and keep moving forward, we also need to recognize that things are getting better and progress is being made.
Within TBS and across the government, there are great people working to achieve the Digital Government vision.
… So for the next few weeks, I want to recognize that progress and our achievements to date. Please join me and TBS in sharing your stories and highlights on twitter using the #GCDigital hashtag.
- Releasing the #GCDigital Standards and updated policies to guide how we work in a digital age and serve as a lens for reviewing policy and project proposals,
- Canada being rated #1 in the world for Open Data
- The launch of the Canadian Digital Service to spearhead transformation initiatives
- Canada being invited to join the Digital 9, a network of leading digital governments whose goal is to strengthen the digital economy and share successes with each other,
- And service transformation projects are taking, place across government, including initiatives that provide citizens and service users real-time information about their applications.
These are just a small handful of examples of progress towards #DigitalGovernment, with more to come.
What are you working on to advance Digital Government? What improvements has your team already made?
Tell us online.